Friday, May 10, 2013

Introduction (Part 3: Finally. Enough already!)

(continued from previous...)

10 years or so have passed since my last hobby-related activity:

After moving into this last house, we determined that we needed to "scale down" and get rid of any unneeded clutter - our next move would be back to the big city, where prices are high and square footage is low. When I got to the box with my miniatures, my wife and I had a conversation that went something along the lines of this:

"I think I'm going to get rid of my miniatures, I haven't touched them in forever."

"No hun, don't do that!" (Prior to making this statement, she had only seen my miniatures once before, many years ago, and had no particular interest in them aside from the fact that the painting skill was impressive to her untrained eyes)

"Really? Why do you want me to keep them?"

"I don't know, you worked so hard on them..."


Well, within a week I had looked up a FLGS in the city we were living in and had gone and dropped about $40 on new paints (Unlike a good wine, 10 years does not make a better paint, especially in the dreaded GW threaded pots of yore). I still had some primed Berserkers, so I polished off a few of them to get back into the swing of things.  

After much back and forth, and countless hours spent pondering over the GW website (as well as other sources of inspiration around the web) I decided to go with Grey Knights as my new army. (before I left the hobby the last time, one of my last purchases was a 2 pack of pewter GK SS minis which went unpainted) I picked up a Coteaz, and went online and purchased the beginnings of my new Grey Knights army. A little while later (to coincide with a Finecast release) I picked up my henchman squad and a Vindicare to round out my list. Now that I actually had the means to purchase a serviceable army, and the yarbles to actually do it, I feel that I can sufficiently commit to the hobby without the risk of another 3-to-10 year hiatus.

That last bit brings us to about 8 months ago. Since then, I have done a bit of painting and converting, and a lot of day-dreaming, researching, time-wasting, and other unproductive things. But all that will be covered in the posts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment