Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Well, that absence was longer than expected - Alladin's Morning Coffee Musings #5

Hello again!

I am back to this blog after a 4 month "break." To quickly bring things up to speed, hobby life was going quite well back in early February; I was making fairly quick work of my Tyranid assembly, until one day we received notice that our landlords were moving back into the house we were renting from them. Basically, we now had 2 months to find another place to live. Deciding to test home-ownership again after 2 years of renting, a torrent of house-hunting ensued and we found a nice place that fit our criteria and happened to be located right around where we wanted to live. *It doesn't hurt that I am now only a 3 minute drive from the FLGS that I mentioned in previous posts. I tell my wife this had NOTHING to do with my location criteria... ... ... ... ...*

As I was unable to continue commuting to work, a new car had to be purchased in this timeframe as well, and when you add this to all the other things one needs to do before, during, and after purchasing a house, 4 months seems like a blink of an eye. And now that the boring stuff is out of the way, lets get back to the hobby!

A blink of an eye is apparently all it takes for Games Workshop to release a new Edition almost out of thin air and turn the 40k world upside down in one fell swoop. During my hiatus I had been keeping up with the majority of gaming news, and 7th Edition was by far the biggest release in this period. I was not so much interested in Astra Militarum or the current Orks releases (which is a good thing - those two releases are the first time in a long while where I didn't think to myself, "hmm, maybe I should start yet ANOTHER army..." 

Unfortunately, this means that 6th Edition has come and gone with me having yet to play a single game. This is nobody's fault but mine, of course, but after buying the Dark Vengeance set mainly for the rules and templates (but also in part because I loved the models) I feel it was a bit of a waste.

One must move on, however, and out of the ruins of my procrastination shines a beam of light: from my impressions it seems that 7th Edition has gotten a fair amount of praise from the overall community for tightening up some of the rules (Psychic phase shenanigans aside). Too bad the praise isn't necessarily coming from the players of one of my main armies, the Tyranids. Ahh well.

Speaking of Tyranids, with all the excitement of the move starting to wind down, the last month has allowed me to continue working on assembling my starter force. After some much-needed magnets came back in-stock a few weeks ago, I have, for all intents and purposes, completed assembly of my Carnifex and Hive Tyrant. I still have to convert my crushing claws into TL-Devourers for both of them, but aside from that they are basically good to go. I have also assembled most of my Tervigon, with some magnetization and base work still remaining, and have started my Trygon/Mawloc, which I will likely magnetize after all (sigh...) This still leaves about 32 Termigants, plus my Hive Crone/Harpy kit and 3 Zoanthropes yet to be purchased and assembled.

Hopefully I will have the force completely put together by summer's end, and then I will take a break from assembly and go back to painting some of my GK's, which have been significantly neglected since before Christmas. With an assembled force of unpainted Tyranids, I hope to use them to get a few games in while my GK force is being painted up.

That basically brings us up to speed. In the next few days I will hopefully get around to posting again,  and this time with something a bit less boring than a "dear diary" entry like the one above. If anyone other than myself actually read up to this part, I do apologize and will try to make it up to you. How, you ask? No clue. But if you have any suggestions please be sure to comment. (Note: No money, sexual favours or any other unreasonable requests will be considered.)

No comments:

Post a Comment